If you ever need your fix of dark science fiction, look no further than the Alien Universe. In addition to the classic space-horror genre, certain franchises like Blade Runner and Predator may also be part of the equation. This is the Alien Universe timeline.
What’s on the Alien Universe timeline?
- The Alien Franchise: Obviously the key part of this timeline is the Alien films and their tie-ins. While much of the old comics and books are no longer canon, much of the newer stuff is (similar to how Lucasfilm rebooted their expanded universe in 2014).
- The Predator Franchise: First on this list is the Predator franchise, which are largely considered canon in this universe. However, they do often conflict with other pieces of canon in this universe. For example, The Predator should take place only a year before Blade Runner, but the two are obviously in a different place, technologically.
- The Blade Runner Franchise: Ridley Scott confirmed that the Blade Runner films are part of the Alien Universe, so they are included as well, though as noted earlier, it does conflict a bit with the Predator films. Just roll with it.
- Alien vs. Predator: While not canon, we do place the Alien vs. Predator films on this timeline just for fun. But keep in mind that they definitely DO NOT fit in the canon, especially since Xenomorphs are only created later in the timeline.
- Firefly? There is some evidence to suggest that Firefly might take place some 200-ish years after the last entry on this timeline. While not included here, if you want to see it all in order, start with this timeline, then go visit our Firefly timeline.
What is Canon?
The Alien/Predator/Blade Runner franchises are littered with canonical holes and continuity problems. However, it is pretty clear that the primary Alien films, Predator films, Prometheus, and the Blade Runner films are all canon. The Alien vs Predator films are not canon, but I’ve included them anyway, just for fun. There are also a lot of video games, books, and comic books in the series. Most of these are non-canon, but Fox did endorse the recent two Alien video games as canon, so I’ve included those as well as a few more modern comics and books. So hopefully that’s not too confusing.
For those who want to see all of the comics and books that are part of the Alien/Predator timeline, I’m sorry there’s little I can do here, since this timeline focuses just on the canon. Little of the tie-in media has any care for continuity. But with pop culture’s recent glorification of “canon” there are some comics or novels that have become part of this timeline and we can expect more in the future. This timeline does, also, include the novelizations for certain films, so you can enjoy reading those at least. Here’s the Alien Universe story timeline.