Acanor was a knight of African descent, which (cringe alert) meant that he was referred to as “The Black Knight” and “Ugly Hero”.
Both he and his father were Christians, yet under his aliases, he still managed to enjoy many adventures as a knight of Arthur.
There may also be some connections with the character of Escanor.
Acanor first appeared in the Post-Vulgate Suite du Merlin.
See our complete list of Arthurian characters for more entries like this one.
- Norris Lacy, Geoffrey Ashe, Debra Mancoff – The Arthurian Handbook (Second Edition)
- Alan Lupack – The Oxford Guide to Arthurian Literature and Legend
- Ronan Coghlan – The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
- Anonymous – Lancelot-Grail, the French Vulgate
- Sir Thomas Malory – Le Morte d’Arthur