We don’t know much about Abrioris, other than the fact that he was a Knight of the Round Table.
He joined the Round Table when Percival visited him in his castle, slew a bunch of lions that Abrioris had at the ready for some reason, and then defeated him in combat. I guess having the stuffing knocked out of you by a Knight of the Round Table is good incentive to join the same group.
Abrioris first appeared in the Second Continuation of Chrétien’s Perceval, which is attributed to Gauchier of Donaing.
See our complete list of Arthurian characters for more entries like this one.
Cite This Article
- Norris Lacy, Geoffrey Ashe, Debra Mancoff – The Arthurian Handbook (Second Edition)
- Alan Lupack – The Oxford Guide to Arthurian Literature and Legend
- Ronan Coghlan – The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
- Anonymous – Lancelot-Grail, the French Vulgate
- Sir Thomas Malory – Le Morte d’Arthur